Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Void Work

Today's post is once again brought to you in Clare-O-Vision. She's been at me for quite a while to enter a fighter over at Void City, but for one reason or another, I never quite got around to it.

Well, until now.

What we have here is a younger version of my character Kyle Kongo, before he had accepted his role as a rich socialite and business owner, and when he was working for the Primeria Special Forces as a covert ops. (Yes, my characters have colourful histories.) He ends up in Void City after a world-jump lands him there as he's searching for the weapon which an enemy of Primeria seeks. In the mix, of course, he's going to incur the wrath of many a citizen of Void City, so it should be pretty cool.

This is the concept I'm working with for Kyle's pose when he wins a battle:


And on the shirt he wears, the Primeria Special Forces is located in the left pectoral area. I wanted to keep the logo as simple as possible, so that it would be easy to plaster all over the place, and to eventually draw in Illustrator. The concept behind it is simply a primate wearing an army helmet.


Now, for Kyle's design sheet, I wanted to show two things:
(1) That even though he's in the army, Kyle's still very conscious of knowing how to dress. He combines his standard issue uniform with a jacket (full of weapons and trinkets à la Hellboy) to look stylish on a battlefield.
(2) That Kyle's an arrogant son of a bitch. His pose alone is meant to express his cocksure nature.


Finally, this is an overview of the weapons he primarily uses while in Void City. I liked toying with the idea that the Kongo family is in possession of a set of extremely dangerous swords, because it means that I don't really have to make Kyle superpowered - just in the possession of it. I think it makes him a bit more vulnerable, and would drive him to win more because of this vulnerability.


And that's it for now, folks!